Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Birthright
The Dark Gifts #1
Willow Cross
For one-thousand years, Druid prophecies foretold of a young witch destined to alter the fate of both human and immortal alike. This witch-turned-vampire would be capable of harnessing the supernatural abilities of both and, in a bloody rise to power, would rule with unwavering control.

Unwillingly thrust into a world she never dreamed existed, Liz Markum is catapulted into an ancient war between rival vampire factions. She must choose between those she loves and the ever-present darkness attempting to devour her very soul.

Only one question remains: Will Liz claim her birthright or surrender to the dark gift?

One choice.

One chance.

Two destinies.

Reading the first chapter was a struggle because it started smack in the middle of the product of some life-turning incident in the lives of the two main characters.

After everything was sorted out with Liz's turning came instalove. *rolls eyes* I just... You know... It was not... GAAAAHHHHHH!!! I can't even find the words. For the love of all that is holy in love, do the romance right! I do admire their relationship, instalove aside, but asdfghhjkl#$@%^&!

Then, we get in the middle of the story and the middle of everything. And it became a convoluted mess. The focus drifted away from Michael and Liz although they're still one of the big movers. The book introduced new characters and focused on Cassiopeia and her human family. I get the importance of Cass as the the eldest of the Eldest but I just don't understand what Jenna's importance was nor the demon that possessed her. They defeated the demon quite easily.

One could argue that it finally put to attention to the fact that Liz, after all, was their saving grace. But I have to point out that Brogan, the druid, could have still been introduced without the demon thing. Or something could have happened to eventually pave the way for Liz to be the One.

As I keep thinking about it as I write this review, another part of me is making very good arguments about how things happened; but I still stand by what I thought when I was reading those parts.

You might think that I should have done away with this book a few chapters in and label it a DNF as is my wont when I read this kind of books. I myself am surprised that I finished it. However, there was something under all that mess that made me want to finish it. That is why I gave it a rating of straddling the fence. Funny thing is that I want to read the second book just to see what happens.

Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]