Twenty years after the events of the first film, the international community recovers and the United Nations creates the Earth Space Defense (ESD), a united global defense program that serves as Earth's early warning system and the main defense force using technology salvaged from remains of the alien forces, with some military forces assembled on the Moon, Mars and Rhea, and theArea 51 base has become the Space Defense Headquarters. However, the aliens were able to send a distress signal to their other battalions before their final defeat while others went into hiding elsewhere around the world headed by their queen.The aliens in deep space received the signal and sent a larger and more powerful battle fleet, threatening the human race once more.
- It was all over the place.
- This new threat was supposed to go like this: the rest of the alien family received a distress call from the loser alien horde. It took them 20 years to respond.
- Why were they invading in the first place? To harvest our planet’s core to power their technology. Yes, our planet is like a gas station for them.
- Eh? That’s it?
- In the first film you get the feel of it is like being invaded as it focused on the panic and hysteria.
- In this second one, it had about five to ten minutes of the mother ship landing and basically decimating half the planet (with spectacular CGI effects of doomsday proportions) but the impact was just not felt. I mean: yes, the mother ship killed millions and destroyed cities and towns; but there was no empathy or sympathy.
|Photo Credit: Screen Rant|
- It looked like it was handing over the reins to the new generation of alien fighters, the children of the veterans; but these youngsters failed to recapture the charisma of the old cast.
- There were new characters who were underutilized.
- And was that Dr. Marceaux character really necessary.
- It ended up riding on the backs of returning characters to whom they should have listened to.
- Didn’t they learn something that last time that they don’t engage something until they know for sure what it is?
- There’s a lot of I told you so here that must have been in the minds of President Whitmore and Dir. Levinson.
- Seriously, everyone forgets about the force field.
- And the queen alien looked like the MUTO from Godzilla but with tentacles.
For the old cast, the CGI effects and the bromances.