Saying Goodbye and Cheating Death by April White
In the thrilling conclusion to The Immortal Descendants series, a life has ended, the future is lost, and a war has just begun.An explosion has split Time and Archer has paid the ultimate price, leaving Saira heartbroken and desperate to repair the rupture. But the blast has trapped Saira in an alternate future where Mongers are cornered predators and Death is the ultimate judge. If Saira and her larcenous friend, Ringo, ever want to see Archer alive, they must pull off the impossible – alter history at a moment in time to which they cannot return. But saving Archer will restore a timeline where Mongers have complete control, mixed bloods are hunted prey, and the Descendant world is spiraling into chaos.As Saira uses her Clocking skills to prevent her worst nightmares from coming true, she travels from the dirty streets of Victorian London to the secret archives of the Vatican. She seeks a purpose that is greater than smashed hope, greater than lost love, greater than the prophecy that has shaped her very existence. She must use the lessons of history to free the present and shape the future. And in the end, Saira and her friends will face War and Death in the most important battle of all – the one for Peace.
ARC from the author
There is always a certain kind of dread when you are holding the last book in a beloved series. You have been waiting for a year to get yet your hands on it. You have been eagerly –heart-thudding- anticipating to read what happens in the end. You have been waiting if your book husband is alive or not.
But the moment the book lands in your hands, even though you’re literally bouncing in your seat, on your feet, screaming at your best friend, you still cannot seem to open the first page because when you start reading, then there is no going back.
Oh, you could re-read the entire series from book one; but there is a singular magic to reading it the first time. Ask the Potterheads; we know what we are talking about.
However, you don your favorite pajamas, you brew your favorite chocolate drink, you fluff your pillows on the sofa (or the armchair or the bed or the porch swing), you cuddle your cat or dog (for later comfort), and you take a deep breath before you open the page to learn the secrets of Cheating Death.
- Saira has this habit of overcomplicating things. Was there a reason for her and Ringo to travel to those times when they could just go that time window to get everything right? Maybe in this instance Saira was not thinking clearly since she just lost Archer.
- Then, again, it was by design. Saira needed to travel to those times to learn important things in order to do what is best and what is good, not only for her and her loved ones but for everyone as well.
- That is why I am giving a big kudos to her character growth. She is deserving of being a special snowflake.
- But she wouldn’t have done it all by herself. If Frodo had his Sam, then Saira had her Ringo.
- Ringo, my precious cinnamon roll, you are deserving of a book of your own.
- Of course, all that time-travelling will not be as awesome if not for the well-researched and enmeshed bits and pieces of actual history. I learned a lot.
The Immortal Descendants is one of those book series wherein it is unexpected – I couldn’t even remember how I heard and got my hands on the first book; it is unbelievable – it is a rare gem in this oversaturated world of young adult literature; it is underrated – read previous phrase, seriously, why isn’t it more popular with the masses? Guy?; and, altogether, one of those stories where narrative, atmosphere, setting, plot and characters are well-developed, comprehensive, and well-entwined to form one unforgettable story.
Thank you for the incredible journey, Ms. April White.
- What happened to Ringo and Charlie? Did they have kids? Spoiler:They remained in contact with Saira and Archer, but did they make contact with the Families in their time or did they limit their interaction to Archer?
- What happened to the Families? Spoiler: What was the aftermath now that there was a new world order?
- Saira and Archer?
Check out my reviews of the previous books: