Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Back when I was first cleaning out my late grandfather's room, I came upon mounds of cut-out newspaper articles, yellowed papers and other whatnots that were, perhaps, collected by him. My grandfather was very scholarly and loved reading anything and everything. The bits that he found interesting, he would cut and tuck away.

Now, this post comes from one of those collected papers. I'll just post the first 15 for now and save the  other 15 for another post. While these tips are quite sound, some of them are not really practical nor do I agree with some of them.
---

  1. Limit your intake of foods that come from animal sources. Don't eat foods from animal sources more often than three times a week.
  2. Avoid all pork. Avoid animal fats, use only small amounts of lean meats.
  3. Do not eat any smoked and barbecued foods.
  4. Do not overeat protein.
  5. Limit the foods that contain enzyme inhibitors, such as soy bean products, peanuts and lentils.
  6. Don't force yourself to eat large quantities of foods that may cause digestive tract discomfort and excessive gas.
  7. Eat one-half to one full cup of fresh yogurt daily.
  8. Eat fruits and vegetables as fresh as possible. Avoid foods that have grown close to highways and those sprayed with insecticides. Clean fruits and vegetables well. Eat fruits and vegetables raw when possible. Next best is the slightly cooked ones. Eat fruits and vegetables whole, including the skins.
  9. Do not use aluminum cooking utensils.
  10. Do not use excessive pungent spices and condiments such as hot pepper and mustard or at least limit their intake.
  11. Include a lot of garlic and onions in your diet, but only if they do not cause digestive problems.
  12. Avoid common table salt. Use such things like sea salt in moderation instead.
  13. Avoid refined sugar and products made from refined carbohydrates, such as pies, cakes, and starchy foods such as spaghetti.
  14. Include adequate bulk in your diet by eating such foods as bran, celery and lettuce.
  15. Drink large amounts of freshly-made juices, especially vegetable juices of carrots, celery and beets.
---
So, guys, what do you think?


1.  Does fish count? Anyway, I can't give up animal sources. I think we eat beef/pork/chicken about four or five times a week. But we also have fish quite often.
2.     As I said in number 1, we have meat about four or five times a week. And fat in pork is an excellent source of flavor. Then again, we also limit using it.
3.     The last time we had barbecue was about two weeks ago. I think what this means is that we should avoid the burnt parts as they're packed with carcinogens that can cause cancer.
4.     How do you overeat protein?
5.     Well, beans, we are more of the leafy-vegetables type.
6.     Well forcing yourself to eat more than you could chew is a sure sign of gluttony.
7.     Where can I find yogurt in this place? We're not exactly known for yogurt. How about root crops instead.
8.     Sad to say, although we are a tropical country, I don't see much fruits in the market. There's only so much bananas you can eat before you dream of them swinging on a hammock. Also, how would you know if the produce were grown close to highways? Do you ask the vendors? But most of the vendors are only secondhand sellers and I don't think they would ask their sources where they exactly grew their products.
9.     Eh, we use them.
10. I only use lots of black pepper and, of course, I always season to taste. We don't have mustard and I am not really a fan of spicy foods.
11. I never exclude garlic and onion in my cooking.
12. Yes, we have lots of salt here. Just walk for about five to ten minutes in the direction of the rising sun and you would eventually come upon the Pacific Ocean.
13. Sorry, but I love pies and cakes. And spaghetti is my specialty.
14. I don't think we have bran, celery or lettuce.
15. We're the people who are more of the "instant-drink" kind. And my grandmother has this obsession of Nestea Iced Tea.



Photobucket

1 comment:

Bottom Ad [Post Page]