Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Wait! They already will!

But before that, my impressions...

I'm putting this out there: I am wholly ignorant of Philippine comic literature. The only way I'm even aware about such the genre is because of TV shows and movies that were adapted from the works of Mars Ravelo and Carlo J. Caparas.

I wasn't very interested either.

I grew up reading the works of foreign authors and media, only deigning to read Philippine pocket romances when a high school class made us read something written by Filipinos (I went rebel and read a "trashy" romance). I associated reading Philippine works with school work and anything  to read for school was deemed an uphill battle.

Years later, this millenial was reading her Twitter timeline and came across an article about Neil Gaiman... and his love and admiration for Filipino comic writers.

It is a testament that a foreigner knows more about the work of local writers and artists than some of the citizens themselves:
When I came out here, everyone was telling me that being a (fiction/comic book writer) is so cool in America and in England. “But here in the Philippines, we don’t really do that fiction of comic ‘stuff.’” I said, “What do you mean you don’t do it? You started it!” Some of the greatest artists (from the medium) came from here. What was strange during that period was that when I’d say this, people would say “Really?” I’d ask “Have you heard about Alex Nino?” And they would say “No.” -Source
Google searches later led me to another article by Esquire that lists comics on Philippine folklore. And that's how I was drawn to scour the bookstores if they carry the titles...

Trese
Budjette Tan & KaJo Baldisimo
Genre: Paranormal, Mythology
When the sun sets in the city of Manila, don't you dare make a wrong turn and end up in that dimly-lit side of the metro, where aswang run the most-wanted kidnapping rings, where kapre are the kingpins of crime, and engkantos slip through the cracks and steal your most precious possessions.

When crime takes a turn for the weird, the police call Alexandra Trese.
The first two volumes of the series focuses on an episodic storytelling of the cases Alexandra Trese takes on. Each chapter focuses on one case, short and to the point. There is no lengthy exposition nor an in-depth background but concentrates on the supernatural methods Alexandra employs to deal with equally supernatural foes.

The reader is not treated to Alexandra's person and her background, on how she came to do what she does or she got the kambal (twins) to be her bodyguards.

It isn't until the third volume where we are treated to a full insight into the world of the supernatural consulting detective.

I love, love, love the idea of someone who takes on the responsibility of policing the Philippine supernaturals ever since I watched the third episode in the Shake, Rattle, and Roll X movie entitled Nieves (an engkatolarya aka engkanto [mythical spirits] slayer). When I saw that I was like: "Man... I hope they make a series out of this." Unfortunately, it never came to fruition.

Alexandra is BAMF who takes no shit from anyone, be it ignorant mundanes or the supernaturals themselves. She knows her duty and she's determined to do what needs to be done to keep both worlds safe and in balance.

At first, the flashbang format of the first three volumes annoyed me. It was the reason I deemed it a great opportunity to give it the onscreen treatment. However, it just read as disconnected anecdotes told in pubs after work.

It was with great relief that the fourth volume introduced a continuous case through the book. Presenting an overarching story, we now see the links peppered all throughout, from the first volume to the recent one.

For those who want to explore, Trese is a good introduction to Philippine folklore and mythology. If anything, the new concepts and mythical beings will whet your curiosity (Is that a reverse centaur? *sideeyes the tikbalang*).
 
P.S.
Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]