Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Ghost Bird
C.L. Stone
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
With an agoraphobic mother and a barely-there father, Sang abhors the isolation keeping her in the shadows. The only thing Sang craves is a fresh start and to be accepted as ordinary by her peers, because for her being different meant being cast out alone.

When her family moves to a new school district, Sang infiltrates a group of boys nearly perfect in every way. Grateful for an influence outside of her parents’ negativity, she quickly bonds with the boys, hoping to blend in and learn from them what it means to have a natural relationship with friends.

Only the boys have secrets of their own and they’ll do anything to keep her safe from the knowledge of the mysterious Academy that they've sworn allegiance to. Bit by bit, Sang discovers that her friends are far from the normalcy she expected. Will her loyalty change when she's forced to remain in the dark, or will she accept that she's traded one house of secrets for another?

Meet Kota, Victor, Silas, Nathan, Gabriel, Luke and North in a story about differences and loyalty, truth and mystery, friendships and heart-throbbing intimacy.
The Academy, ever vigilant.
I landed myself another reverse-harem series. First, it was the Divinicus Nex series and now this. At least in Divinicus Nex it was clear that there was only one guy for Aurora, for sure. I mentioned before that I cling to the first potential guy that the main character meets, stick with him and pray that he’s the one. I guess this is predictable since almost, if not all, the first guys end up with the girl anyway. But here in Ghost Bird, it’s not clear who she’d end up. I was so sure about Kota but when the other guys turned up and I got to know them… eff, I don’t know which one anymore. 

It’s like being in one of those otome games where the girl has this array of boys all vie for the attention of the female lead. The girl is usually meek and shy and needs to overcome hurdles like getting into a good music school or opening up her own bakery. One of the goals, besides the main plot, is to develop a romantic relationship between the female character and one of the several males. Usually, these males all showcase a different personality i.e. the prince, the cool one, the little devil, the wild one, the mature one, etc. And yes, the boys of the Ghost Bird series each have their own personality and particular appeal. It’s like Sang is shopping. 

And I am also shopping. I’ve been giggling nonstop ever since I started reading this series. With the way Sang described everything from how they look and how they interact with her, then yes, I was shopping. However, I still that secret wish that Kota will be the one. 

I should be describing the story, plot and conflict and all but I guess it would be pointless at this point since I just likened it to an otome game which, if you are familiar with otome games, could be the best explanation I could give. It’s like reading something of a fan service. No, not in a bad way. Think of it like fulfilling your secret fantasies about having so many guys catering to your needs. There are elements of an arc-plot here like what the boys are doing in a public school when they go to an elite, private school; what this secretive Academy is and who the boys really are; Sang’s family. But all these are put in the background because the main focus here is Sang’s relationship with the boys. 

*sigh* I just said that it feels like an otome game. 

So expect a Mary Sue-ish type of main character here because you’ll feel at some point the confusing thought of what the boys see in her. I felt that her naïveté is getting old and I can’t believe at things that she’s so “innocent” about. Girl, that amount of touching is… 

I know, I know, otome game. Hey, I am not complaining. I’m giving a four out of five apples after all.
Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]