Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Bewitching Season
Leland Sisters #1
Marissa Doyle
Genre: YA Paranormal
In 1837 London, young daughters of viscounts pined for handsome, titled husbands, not careers. And certainly not careers in magic. At least, most of them didn’t.

Shy, studious Persephone Leland would far rather devote herself to her secret magic studies than enter society and look for a suitable husband. But right as the inevitable season for "coming out" is about to begin, Persy and her twin sister discover that their governess in magic has been kidnapped as part of a plot to gain control of the soon-to-be Queen Victoria. Racing through Mayfair ballrooms and royal palaces, the sisters overcome bad millinery, shady royal spinsters, and a mysterious Irish wizard. And along the way, Persy learns that husband hunting isn’t such an odious task after all, if you can find the right quarry.
I love historical fiction. I love the manners, the balls, the dresses, the courtesy... it all feels so romantic (No, don't touch me with reality)... fueled by the likes of Jane Austen's works. 

I wanted to love Bewitching Season. I've been waiting to read this and when I finally bought it and read it...

I love the manners, the balls, the dresses and the courtesy well enough but they couldn't detract for the utter silliness of one Persephone Leland. She may be a bluestocking but that didn't help her at all from being over-anxious, over-thinking things and at times pretty stupid. I rather think that Penelope was the more level-headed of the two even if she was, uhm, more inclined towards the balls and meeting eligible men. But I was reading the book from Persy's point of view so I couldn't say much of Penelope. I still say she's more level-headed. Both were impulsive. I like Charles though.

The main conflict of the story was supposed to be the search for their missing, beloved governess who had taught them magic for ten years. Supposed to. But at times it was swept aside by the demands of the aristocratic society and the Season (or the marriage market), that they quite sometimes forget about Ally.

Ah, the romance. We can't forget about romance. Well, I think this is where I could attribute the silliness of Persy's actions. Doing a love spell, wanting but not wanting Lochinvar to love her, her belief that he must hate witches based on a gossip... My mind is arguing with itself and presenting sound arguments for and against both sides like: she's a 17-year old girl who believed that the object of her affections might never love her. *sigh*I knew that but that didn't stop me from snorting and rolling my eyes. Remember, kids, communication is the key not hiding behind fans.

I don't know if I would read Betraying Season in the next few days though I'd love to know Pen's story. I might take a break and go on a dystopian spree.
Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]