Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Night School
Night School #1
C.J. Daugherty
Allie Sheridan’s world is falling apart. Her brother’s run away from home. Her parents ignore her. And she’s just been arrested.

Again.

This time her parents have had enough. They cut her off from her friends and send her away to boarding school, far from her London friends.

But at Cimmeria Academy, Allie is soon caught up in the strange activities of a secret group of elite students.

When she’s attacked late one night the incident sets off a chain of increasingly violent events. As the school begins to seem like a very dangerous place, she finds out that nothing at Cimmeria is what it seems to be.

And that she is not who she thought she was.
Unresolved issue #1: I still don't know why Allie is so bloody important. I knew she is special (aren't they all?) but why? The book established that her family has been keeping secrets from her and from what happened, her brother came to know the truth and did something about it. Something bad and he fell in with the enemy. Unresolved issue #2: Her brother. 

Unresolved issue #3: What is Cimmeria all about? Yes, it's super-duper secret and only select families know about it. Powerful, wealthy people who rule the world. 

Unresolved issue #4 connected with #1-3: Who is Nathaniel?

These questions underline the fact that I want to know what happens next. I'm eager to know. See, this is how you build anticipation - by dumping enough hints without being all in your face about it to get me, the reader, super-frustrated and eager to turn the pages to finally know what's really going on. Then ending it without tearing my hair out thus making me want to read the next book.

No instalove by the way. No declarations of love whatsoever. Just normal(?) teenage dating and stuff. Just please don't take the [hinted] triangle further. For me, it stopped being a trio when he (no, not the main interest) almost had his way with her. It bothered me that she forgave him easily. Just because he's gorgeous, French and everything charming that goes with it and he looked très désolé doesn't mean that it was okay.

It was not epic to be precise and there were other minor things including clichés and it's-always-the-same instances that would have normally irked me and set me off into rant mode but, surprisingly, it never bothered me here. Huh, I guess, I was in a rather good reading mood and was quite forgiving. 
Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]