Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


Ruined
Ruined #1
Paula Morris
Rebecca couldn't feel more out of place in New Orleans, where she comes to spend the year while her dad is traveling. She's staying in a creepy old house with her Aunt Claudia, who reads Tarot cards for a living. And at the snooty prep school, a pack of filthy-rich girls treat Rebecca like she's invisible. Only gorgeous, unavailable Anton Grey seems to give Rebecca the time of day, but she wonders if he's got a hidden agenda. Then one night, in Lafayette Cemetery, Rebecca makes a friend. Sweet, mysterious Lisette is eager to talk to Rebecca, and to show her the nooks and crannies of the city.
I now have Unbroken and I didn't quite remember the first book so I read Ruined again.

It's a light read for me actually, just something to pass the time while I experience the coldest day I could remember. I'd probably think so after Seraphina. It's not heavily mysterious. I was quite surprised that Rebecca didn't freak out after seeing a ghost. I expected her to hightail it out of the cemetery, wait out for a few days but go back since she was really curious about things. I certainly didn't expect her talking to it immediately. She's so lonely because she thought she was so different from the other girls since she doesn't follow their vapid traditions, that she'd just talk to a ghost.

Four for you Rebecca. You go, Rebecca! And none for Helena Bowman.

Anton Grey tried to be the love interest. He's so insignificant as that trope that I don't know why he was even cast in that role. Well, if there was even a love story to begin with. Maybe he'd get a little more lovelight in the second book.

Ruined was okay. It certainly had mood and the atmosphere. And a lot of historical factoids about New Orleans - one of my favorite book places.
Ayanami Faerudo

2 comments:

  1. Eek, I love anything set in New Orleans, always makes it interesting and I've been wanting to read Ruined for a while, so I probably will soon now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember absolutely loving this one when I read it years ago, before I even started blogging. I wonder if I read it now, after a few years of reading so much great YA, if I would still be so impressed with it or I'd think it was just okay like you. It's always interested to see how people feel about things the second time around. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]