Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Avalon High
-Directed by Stuart Gillard
-Screenplay by: Julie Sherman Wolfe & Amy Talkington
-Based on the novel of the same name by Meg Cabot
-Release date: November 12, 2010 but was shown in Asian TV about two months ago
-Starring: Brit Robertson, Gregg Sulkin, Joey Pollari, Devon Graye

Movie synopsis :
In Avalon High, Allie is ecstatic when her parents, traveling professors who specialize in King Arthur’s legend, tell her she will be staying at Avalon High until she graduates.  She can finally join the track team, make new friends and be a normal high school student. But shortly after arriving, Allie discovers that something strange may be afoot.  While researching a term paper on King Arthur’s legacy, she begins to notice some interesting parallels between the past and the present – from handsome quarterback Will, his cheerleader girlfriend, Jen, and their best friend, Lance, to Will’s brooding step-brother, Marco, a quirky kid named Miles and football players who act like knights of the roundtable. The deeper Allie searches, the more convinced she is that her school is a contemporary Camelot, and it’s up to her to solve of the mystery of Avalon High before notorious traitor Mordred wins again.
---
I was very excited that they made a movie adaptation of the book Avalon High. I loved the book very much and its retelling of the classic tale of King Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Mordred, Merlin and the Lady of the Lake. So I counted the days till it premiered on local TV.

You may remember that I made a post back in October where I bemoaned the fact that they changed Ellie's name to Allie. I noted that the name was very important to the plot. I also noted about the major that they were talking about but Meg Cabot assured fans that "...trust me, you're going to love it." So, I tamed my hackles and waited for the movie.

And I was sorely disappointed.

What were they thinking!?! They murdered it. The story told in the book was in itself so compelling that I could not understand why they need to do that CHANGE!

Okay, I was cruising along just fine watching the first half of the movie. I reconciled or rather resigned myself to the fact that they changed the main character's name. But as the movie unfolds I became puzzled and grew more apprehensive as the climax drew on.

Why is Will, who was supposed to be King Arthur, relegated to just being a knight?
Why is Marco, who was supposed to be the villain, became a member of the Order of the Bear and was in fact trying to save Will's life? I loved Marco's character the books, so why?
Why is it that Mr Moore, who was supposed to be the quirky, reincarnation of Merlin, became the villain? And movie-Merlin became their age.

And my biggest contention...

King Arthur is a GIRL - the main character in fact. I'm not about attacking my own gender but I am about the fact that: what perhaps was the biggest, most interesting bit in the book was not even given a thought in the movie!

Ellie loves floating on water which to led to most of the characters in the know to assume that she was the Elaine of Astolat, the Lady of Shallott who was supposed to have a tragic ending because she was in love with Lancelot who was panting after the queen, Guinevere. But, in the end, it turned out that she was the Lady of the Lake - the one who gave Arthur, Excalibur and who ultimately saved Will's (who was King Arthur reincarnated) life.
And, of course, everyone gets a happy ending. A twist of fate but a happy ending nonetheless.
....
....
Moviewatchers, I recommend not to read the book but watch the movie first THEN read the book, it's a fun, light read.

I know that there are some changes when a book gets translated to a movie but this is ridiculous.

Oh well, we all know Disney really likes to majorly twist things.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]