Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Paranormalcy
the first book in the Paranormalcy series
by Kiersten White
Pages: 352 pages
Publication Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN-10: 0061985848
ISBN-13: 978-0061985843

Synopsis from Amazon:

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.
---
I couldn't place this book in my rating system: I LIKED it - a lot but it falls short of loving it though I would totally buy myself a hard copy.  But, there's something about it... moving on!

This was a refreshing read from all the paranormal/fantasy books out there! I haven't read about anyone that has the paranormal characteristics of Evie and it surprised and gratified me to the core.  She was sassy, fun and bright without being overbearing despite her loneliness from growing up in the Center.  Apart from that, she displays a certain real human quality that makes her vulnerability relatable.

The plot was quite original as shown by my enthusiasm of a whole new type of paranormal.  Heck, the cutie factor's (I heart Lend!) "paranormality" was original.  The story was fast-paced without it being hurried unlike other books where the beginning's pace would be just right, the middle dragging and running-to-the-finish-line in the end.  But it in this book, it does not happen.

I kind of noticed that even without Vivian, the story could have been told... but hell, whatever.  The ending and other elements, especially Evie's origin, left a lot of room for a sequel and I look forward to the day Supernaturally is released in 2011.

I also want to share that the faeries here were downright scary.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]