Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]



Twice Bitten
third book in the Chicagoland Vampires series 
by Chloe Neill
Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: NAL Trade
Publication Date: July 6, 2010
ISBN-10: 0451230647 
ISBN-13: 978-0451230645 







Synopsis from Amazon:

Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit, Chicago's newest vampire. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene-and to spy for the vamps while she's at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan's offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission. Unfortunately, someone is gunning for Gabriel, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She'll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals-not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries-old master vampire.
---
I was, still am, thoroughly satisfied with how Chloe Neill told the story of Merit and the world that she was thrust into without her consent.  It does not have the sluggish, dragging and "fillerish" feel that other sequels seem to have <*cough*Spells*cough*>.  That is one of the reasons why I read all three books (recently acquired) in just two days.

The development of the characters is also perfect, though you might wonder why I just gave four apples.  Two words. Ethan Sullivan.  The attack on the romance part is perfect and does not have that starry-eyed, jittery, giggle- inducing mushiness that other romance novels have (*cough*Twilight*cough*). It was told in that grown-up way, wherein the average, ordinary human who lives in the real nonfiction world can relate.  The reason I gave above, the pretentious Master of Cadogan House, was not because I abhor the character - I like the character - it was his decision that really pissed me off although he started to make amends in the ending.

Which is another point to discuss - I love the ending.  But just as my rating guide say that four apples mean "I like it, but".... but I was left hanging (so BITIN!!!! - it's a Filipino word, search for it) and ensured my excitement for the release of the fourth book.


P.S.:
I never expected her first name to be Caroline.  Seriously, I like Merit better.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]