Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

The Iron Queen 
third book in the Iron Fey series
by Julie Kagawa
Source: NetGalley
Publication Date: January 25, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
ISBN: 0373210183
---
Synopsis from Goodreads:

My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.
---
WARNING: A BIT SPOILERY

---
I distinctly remember, about a year ago, I was surfing the WWW and reading blog posts a bit, as well as forum posts, when I noticed that a certain book called The Iron King was in everybody's must-read list. I got curious and read the blurb. I immediately put the title on my To-Read list.

Now, a year later, Julie Kagawa delivers a bloody fantastic conclusion to Meghan Chase's journey in the world of the Fey.

No longer did Meghan stood by the sidelines but actually demanded (from Ash, no less) that she be given a weapon so that she could fight for herself. No longer was she confused, awkward and letting others lead - she herself was doing the leading, commanding and demanding, asserting herself as she finally became aware of who she was and what she wanted. Here, in The Iron Queen, Meghan Chase grew up.

The ending came as somewhat a surprise though. I was so sure that Meghan and Ash would be together and live happily ever after, as fairy/faery/faerie tales usually end. I was really, really surprised (with my eyebrows going up, up, up) as the final events unfolded and I cannot guarantee that I did not let out some choice words after the parting. However, after I stew about it for hours, I realized that it was rather fitting (and sensible since Ash's completely allergic to iron) and was also the final testament that Meghan have grown and finally found her place.

It kind of gave me a bittersweet ending - that she and Ash put the welfare of others ahead of themselves. They understood that not everything was about them. That although their love in itself was so profound, they knew (at least Meghan knew, Ash went along) that there was something bigger than themselves.

I will not lie and say that I was not disappointed about Meghan and Ash. You see, I am a romantic and I love my happy endings. However, that bit at the end gave me hope... that Julie will have pity on us, Ash x Meghan fans. LOL

I can't wait to read The Iron Knight.

Photobucket

P.S.

There was this particular scene, no, a particular speech by Ash that really reminded me of Tamahome's (Fushigi Yuugi) promise to Miaka before their last separation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]