Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


I've read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies years ago. The fact that it had Pride and Prejudice in the title... well, I couldn't resist. I've probably read every possible retelling or version I could get my hands on about P&P, so zombies would just be another scratch on the tally sheet. I mean, I like zombie movies, where's the harm of a Regency/zombie mash-up?

That novel was very strange and I was a bit grossed-out at first. Me, a girl who watches zombie movies without flinching at the gore and I was a little green when I was reading that book. It was one thing to watch it on screen and another thing to read it. Somehow my imagination trumped over the visual rendering.

But I got over it and finished it. Truly, Elizabeth and Darcy fighting zombies together, back-to-back, not to mention when Lady Catherine de Bourgh confronted Elizabeth in a fight to the the death!
I looked forward to watching the movie to see all the action on the big screen.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
If you haven't watched it yet, then, NO! Don't do it! Save your money for a book or a cup of tea.

About a quarter into the movie, I asked myself: Why am I watching this?

There were the period costumes and the manners I've always loved to read/watch. The characters that countless of generations loved were represented well albeit with changes that accommodate the attitudes that would've been if there were zombies around. There was action - plenty of action - since the ladies were sent by their father to China to train in martial arts and weapons instead of being raised in embroidery and how to pour a cup of tea. And the zombies, don't forget the zombies.

BUT! There's a huge but, I was bored to tears. It was quite funny though and not in a good way if your laughing at the utter ridiculousness of some things. Granted, the idea of zombies in Pride and Prejudice was, for a time, ridiculous even to me; but I did enjoy the book so there's that. They deviated from the book plot since I don't recall anything about Wickham being in cahoots with the horde. I commend the screenwriters about the alternative source of crisis though but it was half-baked since so many factors were needed to be expanded. And even if the background was told, it was clinical at best.

Other points:
  • Lizzie had more chemistry with Mr. Bingley.
  • I wanted an extended sequence where Lizzie and Darcy were fighting zombies back-to-back.
  • Lena Headey. Really? She was underutilized.
  • Previous point said, where was the epic showdown between Lady Cathering de Bourgh and Elizabeth Bennet?
  • Matt Smith was hilarious as Mr. Collins.


Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]