Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

The Trouble with Fate
Mystwalker #1
Leigh Evans
Genre: YA Paranormal
Meet Hedi Peacock. She's half Fae. Half Were. And all trouble…

I Have Two Words For Werewolves:

My name is Hedi Peacock and I have a secret. I’m not human, and I have the pointy Fae ears and Were inner-bitch to prove it. As fairy tales go, my childhood was damn near perfect, all fur and magic until a werewolf killed my father and the Fae executed my mother. I’ve never forgiven either side. Especially Robson Trowbridge. He was a part-time werewolf, a full-time bastard, and the first and only boy I ever loved. That is, until he became the prime suspect in my father’s death…

Bite Me.

Today I’m a half-breed barista working at a fancy coffee house, living with my loopy Aunt Lou and a temperamental amulet named Merry, and wondering where in the world I’m going in life. A pretty normal existence, considering. But when a pack of Weres decides to kidnap my aunt and force me to steal another amulet, the only one who can help me is the last person I ever thought I’d turn to: Robson Trowbridge. And he’s as annoyingly beautiful as I remember. That’s the trouble with fate: Sometimes it barks. Other times it bites. And the rest of the time it just breaks your heart. Again…
The Thing About Weres
Mystwalker #2
Leigh Evans
Genre: YA Paranormal
Love is like a wild animal. It can't be tamed…

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

In the never-ending saga that is my love-hate relationship with Robson Trowbridge, I, half-Were Hedi Peacock, have had a change of heart. Ever since I shoved Trowbridge through the Gates of Merenwyn, I’ve been the leader of the pack—hard to believe, right? The thing is: I’m half-Fae. So even though my Were side is ready to heed the call of the wild, the other part of me is desperate to take flight. And much as it pains me to admit it, life without Trowbridge is really starting to were me down…

I Am Were, Hear Me Roar.

To make matters worse, the wolves of Creemore want my blood—and the North American Council of Weres wants me dead. So I’m just counting the days until Trowbridge returns from the other realm…and comes to my brave rescue…and becomes my alpha mate. Wishful thinking? Of course it is. But given all the mess I’ve been through already, what’s the harm in doing a little bit of daisy-plucking? Besides, Trowbridge owes me bigtime. A girl can dream.
The thing about these books is that they have a great first person narrative/voice. Hedi’s account of her life and its upheaval was so engaging that just a few pages in, I already knew that I was going to read the second book, at least (and that I wanted to know if she and Trowbridge will be reunited). It was like she was talking to you face to face, both of you on comfy chairs facing each other with various snacks on the low table between you. Probably a girls’ only sleepover.

But just because the storytelling was good didn’t mean that I didn’t have frustrations when I was reading the two books.

Yes, I was frustrated with Hedi sometimes. I just wanted to shake her and say Get a grip and stop thinking with your hormones! She was neither intelligent nor smart, nor was she some badass fighter although she was a fae/were hybrid. She’s just a smalltown girl trying to get the best out of her situation. And it was just alright with me. My angst with her was… you should have seen my mood when I came downstairs to forage for food. People were looking at me like What’s up with her? Thanks for infecting me with your moodiness, Hedi.

The first two books of the Mystwalker series gave it to me raw and wriggling. The reality of our actions, the consequences of our decisions, the devastation and heartache, the small pockets of happiness and hope. I just wish that Hedi should’ve thought before she leapt. Some things would’ve been avoided. That goes the same with Trowbridge.

Speaking of Trowbridge, I just want to say to Hedi regarding her relationship with him in the first book: Sige, magpakatanga ka dahil lang sa lalaki.

Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]