Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Dream a Little Dream
Silver #1
Kerstin Gier
Genre: YA Fantasy
A girl with a hatchet. Doors with lizard-head knobs. Talking stone statues. Yes, Liv's dreams have been pretty weird lately. Especially the one where she's in a graveyard at night, watching four boys conduct dark magic rituals.

The strangest part is the Liv recognizes the boys in the dream. They're classmates from her new school in London. But what's really scaring Liv is that these dream boys seem to know things about her in real life, things they couldn't possibly know - unless they actually are in her dreams? Luckily, Liv never could resist a mystery, and all four of these boys are pretty cute...
I forgot how simple and clean Kerstin Gier's storytelling is. Or maybe it's just the translation and a little something was lost between translating the book from German. I wonder what it will be like if I could read the original text. 

Anyhow, the matter-of-fact, straight-to-the-point narrative helped made this book not boring. The concept of taking vivid dreaming to the next level was intriguing and made me realize to practice my dreams more like I used to.

I like Liv's character, so honest and quite sarcastic. But not as sarcastic and sly as her little sister Mia. It's good to see sisters getting along and somehow always on the same page. I often read about sisters not quite getting along or big sister-little sister but not friends relationships.

The Flower Four. LOL. No. Golden Boys? I don't know what to call them. I initially thought that Liv's boy would be Arthur because he seemed to be the leader of the group and female MCs usually end up with the leader. But there's also the I-first-saw-this-boy syndrome where the girl ends up with the first boy she meets and that's what happened here with Henry. Was it an insta-love situation? Insta-attraction maybe with a couple of collective dreaming, throw in a few kisses and one stinky cheese. At least no I-love-yous were thrown around. There's also the matter with Grayson. If I didn't know that he's going to be a stepbrother then I would say that maybe there could have been something there. Then again... Okay, was that all? Oh. Jasper? The dimmest boy in the Western Hemisphere.

The whole summoning a demon to make your wishes come true, vivid dreaming, and psychotic girlfriends plot. You may think that it's somewhat a little more complicated than that but this is where my simple and clean comment comes. You might say that the climax was a Was that it? moment because, really, it was not complicated.

Ayanami Faerudo

1 comment:

  1. Ayanami - Thanks for sharing...this book sounds intriguing on several fronts - the fact that it is translated from German sounds exciting - I love to explore other cultures. I also liked your explanation of the two sisters' relationship. I also have not read many stories where sisters are friends and love that concept. Then there is the idea that dreams may mean more than you think. Often simple and clean is a breathe of fresh air. Thanks for the review. I appreciate your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]