Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

I was around 12 years old when I bought a copy of William Shakespeare's most famous love story tragedy. I never read it; although, I know some lines and the general gist of the story from summaries and such. I used to think that Romeo and Juliet's story was the epitome of romance: falling in love at a ball, the balcony scene, secret marriage and the dying for love.

Now, I think they were a couple of idiots and theirs is a cautionary tale, which is I think what Shakespeare had really intended. After all, he did say it was the The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedie of Romeo and Juliet.

I watched Baz Luhrmann's version and it was hilarious given that it was using the original lines from the play and they were serious at it. I just couldn't get over the way the characters looked: '90s fashion and lifestyle + the Bard's immortal words = *rolling on the floor laughing*. I did enjoy it and was really worth watching.

The 2013 version, scripted by Julian Fellowes, on the other hand is another story. I could appreciate that they went into lengths to film the movie in Verona and the costumes were so pretty and rich, but it lacked passion. How could a tragedy be lacking of passion? I don't know. It just didn't feel right. They could recite the lines word for word but it was like they were just reciting it. Oh, I could make exceptions with the Nurse, the lord Capulet and Friar Laurence but... 

Nothing's wrong with just staring at Douglas Booth's face though. And I just cackled with hilarity when the "romantic" lines were being uttered. So cheesy... I know, I know. I could appreciate the original verse but I grew up in the last 20 years when these words are just too fancy for courtship.
Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]