Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


Cassie Scot: ParaNormal Detective
Cassie Scot #1
Christine Amsden
Genre: Adult, Urban Fantasy 
Cassie Scot is the ungifted daughter of powerful sorcerers, born between worlds but belonging to neither. At 21, all she wants is to find a place for herself, but earning a living as a private investigator in the shadow of her family’s reputation isn’t easy. When she is pulled into a paranormal investigation, and tempted by a powerful and handsome sorcerer, she will have to decide where she truly belongs.
I got this book from the author on the chance that I'd read and review it. It's been almost a year since I got it. It probably slipped my mind or I wasn't in the mood then and it faded into obscurity by the excitement of knowing about other books. 

It came to my attention again when I came across a review about it. Although I didn't read the entire contents of the review for fear of influencing my own reading if I ever came to it, I got the gist that Cassie Scot: ParaNormal Detective is more than a mere read of a girl trying to fit in a world she was not equipped to belong.

And it was. More than a mere read I mean. I couldn't believe I hadn't read it in the first instance I got it. I had always this aversion of reading books when I'm under the pressure of having to read them. Probably a by-product of all those times I was forced to read materials for school.

But I loved reading about Cassie Scot and her world. She was a squib, to borrow a term from Harry Potter, among a family of very-gifted sorcerers. She was the eldest and supposed to the strongest of seven magical children but she was a dud. No magic at all. So she had this identity crisis on whether or not she really belonged with her family and the world she was born into especially when the magical seven may not even include her when a new baby was on the way.

Therefore, she decided to open a detective agency, something she found out she was good at when she was serving as the deputy of Eagle Rock. But... you really couldn't be a normal detective when all around you, even the mundanes, were the evidence of magic with every dealing you make no matter how normal it really seemed at the time.

And that was when shit started to happen. Add to the fact that you're ex-best friend/secret crush came back into your life and you found out that the spark that was always there between you (even if you thought it was just one-sided) was still there, well, shit really started to happen. Vampires were on the hunt and things that were not really that much connected to you somehow made it work like someone's out to get you.

As I said, I loved reading this and I couldn't believe I waited this long. I was pleasantly surprised with the heroine as she presented a level head, smart and intelligent, vulnerable and real and did not fall all over herself trying to bat eyelashes at the guy.

I'd definitely read the next books but I have to wait until the fourth and last book comes out so as I won't be left with a cliffhanger or something. Good thing Stolen Dreams comes out on October 2014.
Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]