Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


Mortal Enchantment
Mortal Enchantment #1
Stacey O'Neale
Genre: YA Paranormal
In Kalin Matthew's world, elementals control the forces of nature. They are divided into four courts: air, woodland, fire, and water. At sixteen she will leave the life she's built with her mortal mother. Kalin will move to Avalon to rule with her father—the elemental king of the air court. Along the way, she's attacked by a fire court assassin and saved by Rowan, a swoon-worthy elemental with a questionable past.

Worst of all, she learns her father is missing.

To rescue him, Kalin will have to work with a judgmental council and a system of courts too busy accusing each other of deceit to actually be able to help her. But, they aren’t her biggest challenge. With the Midwinter’s Ball only five days away, Kalin must take over her father’s duties, which includes shifting control of the elements—power Kalin has yet to realize.

As Rowan attempts to train her, a war looms between the four courts. If Kalin fails, her father will die and the courts will fall, but the betrayal she’s about to uncover may cost her even more...
ASDFGHJKL@#$%^&! You don't do this to me! Ending it that way.

I. Insta-attraction. It's all about the physical. You know what I mean. The staring at the pecs, the abs, the curves, the lips... looks of intensity. It's everywhere in YA.

II. 
     A. World is reminiscent of the Nevernever/Faerie but not quite like it. Instead we have elementals who controls and maintains the balance of the elements. They have courts with royal families, too, each controlling an element. Then, the requisite ultimate being in the akasha who's the cousin of the Avatar which happens to be our heroine.

      B. But I like that world which is called Avalon (maybe King Arthur was the first Akasha? Hohoho). Not too much description though which is the weakness of this book. Minimal, I say. For example:
Once my vision fully returned, I glanced over at a beautiful waterfall cascading gently over a large, rocky cliff. Butterflies circled the branches of the surrounding fruit trees. I was next to patches of picturesque multi-colored flowers adorning the side of the stream. It was one of the most beautiful places I had ever seen. If the Garden of Eden existed, this is what it must have looked like.
Yeah, lady, my imagination is rich but I need more than that to feed it. You didn't let me immerse myself into that otherworldly place and made me feel that I was there.

Exhibit B:
She brought me some air court warrior-wear that looked like something straight out of Game of Thrones. I changed into a leather pleated skirt and thigh-high boots. The corset top matched my skirt with the exception of the breastplate, which was strung with chainmail.
Okay, that last bit was overkill but not everyone watches Game of Thrones.

III. Despite all that, I did like this book. So much that when I read the last sentence and turned the page to continue only to find out that there was nothing... You should have heard the growls of frustration.
Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]