Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Legacy
Night School #2
C.J. Daugherty
In the last year, Allie's survived three arrests, two breakups and one family breakdown. The only bright point has been her new life at Cimmeria Academy. It's the one place she's felt she belongs. And the fact that it's brought dark-eyed Carter West into her life hasn't hurt either. But far from being a safe haven, the cloistered walls of Cimmeria are proving more dangerous than Allie could have imagined. The students and faculty are under threat, and Allie's family - from her mysterious grandmother to her runaway brother - are at the centre of the storm. Allie is going to have to choose between protecting her family and trusting her friends. But secrets have a way of ripping even the strongest relationships apart...

I was not as forgiving this time as I was in the first book and I've paid attention to the flaws and was actually irked by them enough to want to bash Allie in the head for the stupid decisions she made. Don't give me that "but she's a teenager and must make allowances because she's bound to make mistakes" pitch. I know she's young. I am young. She's bound to make mistakes. All of us make mistakes no matter what age. But Allie came across as naive sometimes. And it was glaringly obvious in this one scene where she asked some questions and the answer was glaringly obvious and common sense was all you needed. Everybody lies, Allie. Get it through your head. You need to learn how to play the game.

If you read my review of the first book, then you must know that I had questions that I hoped would be resolved in the second book.

#1: Why is Allie so bloody important? The Legacy title should've been obvious and well, as everyone there said in Allie's first day, no one gets in unless you're a legacy. Allie is the granddaughter of the grand poobah of the Cimmeria dynasty. Her maternal grandmother is the head of things. Makes sense if Nathaniel wants her so much. It's the great eff you against the head when the legacies are siding with the enemy. Which answers unresolved issue #2: her brother. "They lied to us, Allie. What should've been our inheritance. Blah, blah, blah." 

#3: What is Cimmeria all about? I thought there was something other than powerful, wealthy people who basically rule the world through being presidents, prime ministers and head of international organizations. But, fine. It's exciting as it's gonna get. I'm trying to come to get past that and I guess there is something about being able to run the world. Gosh, why am I thinking about Cersei Lannister?

Which brings us to #4: Nathaniel. He's the headmistress' step-brother who's angry because daddy gave everything to his little girl and none for Nathaniel. *shrugs* Okay. Aside from that, no other information was given. He's just someone wanting to take over everything. Which is very boring and giving us a villain who is one-dimensional.

The last thing is the love triangle. I'm calling it a love triangle now because the word love was thrown around. And yes, even with my pleas, there's a love triangle. I guess it was inevitable because it was already there in the first book even though I really did not like what Sylvain did to her. But Allie seems to have a thing for him still and what with her and Carter's trust issues with each other... well, I don't know. She's with Sylvain again. I hope no Gossip Girl thing happens here. 

But despite all that I still enjoyed reading it and I just want to reiterate that I like how things always end. It's not a cliffhanger. There's something that promises that there's something more, something to look forward to.
Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]