Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Double Digit
Digit #2
Annabel Monaghan
Digit and John are back for a second book and in way over their heads.

To say eighteen-year-old Farrah Higgins—or Digit—is good at math is a laughable understatement. She’s been cracking codes since childhood, and is finally at home with “her people” at MIT in Cambridge. Her talents are so off the charts that her laptop is under surveillance by both the CIA and an ecoterrorist named Jonas Furnis. So when she thoughtlessly hacks into the Department of Defense’s database, she lands in serious hot water inside and outside the law. Readers will be sad to turn the last page of this suspenseful, sassy, super smart thriller, the sequel to A Girl Named Digit.
I enjoyed it. I really did. I had a Gallagher Girls throwback. Not that it was similar to GG but the overall feel that I got was somewhat of that nature when I was reading GG. Everything was smooth sailing. But I still am two minds about who broke in the dorm where Digit was staying at MIT. Was it Jonas Furnis' group? Well, maybe, if you're going for the JF connection. Or maybe it was another party, interested in something else. Or I maybe just reading too much into it. Gah, I love mysteries. 

One thing that was a little thumbs down for me was the time when Jonas Furnis forced his way into Digit's room because he was so bummed that Digit got away so and "You forced my hand" kind of way. That scene shattered the illusion that Jonas Furnis was a worthy opponent. Don't get me wrong about this but I was under the impression that he was a brilliant. A terrorist but brilliant. I should clued in on his diva issues when he kidnapped Digit and company. No wonder he was outsmarted.

I'm actually glad that Digit wasn't perfectly smart. She's a genius but she made mistakes - she's a teenager after all. One who's still finding her place. Even if some of these mistakes were misguided like hacking into the Department of Defense.

I'm also equally happy that John, the love interest, wasn't also that perfectly, gorgeous YA boy. Although, there were some instances that I really want to slap him while also bonking Digit's head.

I was little lost with the codes and the ciphers. Normally, when faced with these puzzled, I would try to figure out how they work. Yes, I'm also very big on these puzzles and codes. Maybe I'll go back to them sometime this week and figure it out.
Ayanami Faerudo
P.S.
...I will not talk about the love triangle. I am also not talking about the instalove thing that went on between Digit and John in the first book (since I didn't review the first book). I'm drawing a veil over these things - love triangle and instalove - unless they have a huge impact on the story or pisses me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]