Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Goddess Interrupted

second book of the Goddess Test series
by Aimee Carter
Publication Date: March 27, 2012
galley courtesy of NetGalley and HarlequinTEEN

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.Henry's first wife, Persephone.

Reading the first book, The Goddess Test, made me rethink a lot of the myths that I knew of. There were questions of what-ifs and "is that what really happened?" despite knowing that such things, events and people are just that, myths. It also made me research more about the story of Hades and Persephone since the only version I knew of was the one where Hades took an unwilling Persephone as his wife and their marriage was an unhappy one. While The Goddess Test  expounds on that idea, further reading reveals that in some versions, Persephone did love Hades and quite happily took her place as Queen of the Underworld by his side.

But here in the Goddess Test series we have our very own "original" heroine, Kate Winters who passed the tests to be Henry's new wife and queen. A girl who went from being ordinary to being a goddess. But if Kate was really ordinary ordinary then the gods and goddesses surely would never had chosen her.

In Goddess Interrupted, Kate is finally back from her six months of being away from the Underwworld- a deal she and Henry made. She expected a bit of a welcome from her husband but upon getting to her husband's domain, there was not even a kiss-hello from him. And there, Kate's doubts about Henry's love (would he be able really love her?), about being just Persephone's replacement (was she only born to replace a disappointment?) and about being there in the first place (does she really belong there?). The shadow of Persephone was quite huge and with the frigid way Henry treated her, well, that was a blow to her self-esteem and fed her insecurities.

Aside from this, there was trouble. BIG trouble. Calliope escaped and she was hell-bent on destroying Kate. And who did she get as an ally? A Titan. And not just any Titan. It's Cronus, the King of the Titans. Great.

Then, everyone gets captured and since no one of the remaining gods and goddesses were willing to face the threat head-on, she went her own way. Stupid, yes, but people do crazy things for love so that's that. To cap it all? She needed Persephone's help and there's no knowing what would happen when Henry and Persephone sees each other again.

Poor girl.

I was also swept away with her thoughts and emotions and I was literally shaking my fist at my laptop - first at Henry for being a jerk, second at Persephone for existing and third at Kate for self-sabotage.

Self-sabotage, dear, and there's only so much you can do. But as I thought about it and that if I were in her position I think that I would feel just the same. I mean, here I was so in love with this guy, I married him, I was set to spending forever with him and all I ask is for him to love me in return. But what does he do? He becomes distant and he's still pining away for his ex-wife who wants nothing to do with him. Yes. Wonderful.

But, I'm glad she quite snapped and bounced back at the end (thank you Ingrid) and gave Henry a piece of her mind. The ultimatum, of course, made me cringe but I really won't stay if the one I love did not really try. And while Henry was trying in his own way, sometimes a girl just want a word, a phrase, a look, a touch, to feel that she was really loved and wanted.

And then here we could say that communication goes a long way in a relationship. Ask any therapist.

This review has become long-winded and I think it was kind of spoilery but I guess that's what you get when you really enjoyed and loved the book. Aimee Carter has done it again and I can't wait to read The Goddess Inheritance... you know, with that something at the end. 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]