Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Steel
by Carrie Vaughn
Published: March 1, 2011
ISBN: 0061547913

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Jill has fought in dozens of fencing tournaments, but she has never held a sharpened blade. When she finds a corroded sword piece on a Caribbean beach, she is instantly intrigued and pockets it as her own personal treasure.

The broken tip holds secrets, though, and it transports Jill through time to the deck of a pirate ship. Stranded in the past and surrounded by strangers, she is forced to sign on as crew. But a pirate's life is bloody and brief, and as Jill learns about the dark magic that brought her there, she forms a desperate scheme to get home—one that risks everything in a duel to the death with a villainous pirate captain.

Time travel, swordplay, and romance combine in an original high-seas adventure from New York Times bestseller Carrie Vaughn.
---
I never paid mind about buying this book. I just saw the words fencing, time travel and pirates and I tossed this book onto my pile and it got lost among that (sometimes dreaded) mountain. I picked it up again as a way to pass the time during a "lull period" and boy was I surprised.

I love heroines who could defend themselves - whether they may be proficient with swords, in magic, with martial arts or whatnots as long as they're not the quintessential damsels-in-distress I'm a happy person and the book is as good as sold to me. The romance was only hinted at but did not come into fruition... which was kind of common sense since he was in the past and she would eventually return to her time. No, I think there was not a word of reincarnation or soul mates here - just that taste of something good. The focus was entirely on the adventure.

All in all I enjoyed this swash-buckling story.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds like something that I would like as well. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]