Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

The Amulet
Alison Pensy

Book Description
To seventeen-year-old Faedra, faeries were nothing more than the figurines she collected and displayed in her curio cabinet. She was in for the surprise of her life. 

Faedra had no idea that faeries controlled nature, and with a book no less. Nor did she know that her descendants had protected an ancient fae amulet for thousands of years. An amulet that if ever was reunited with the book would give the wearer power to control the weather, too. She didn’t know all this because the one person to teach her died when she was just six years old. Well, now it was time for her to find out…

A letter from the grave reveals her true identity the day of her eighteenth birthday. But she barely has time to digest the revelation when she is plunged into a fight for her life and that of mankind.

I have been in a reading slump lately. Yes, again. Sometimes, the things I read just bleed into each other that I don't know which is which anymore. Add to the fact that some of the YA books in the market nowadays have almost the same plot and storyline that it is no wonder that I could not distinguish the one story from the next.

I planned to read and summarize the last two articles I needed to pass my last class of my master's degree today. Obviously I did not do it due to the fact that I wasn't inspired to even though one of those articles were about anime and manga, topics that I used to be gaga about granted that was tamed throughout the years.

Anyway, this post should be all about The Amulet by Alison Pensy. This is a faery book. Although, I don't exactly relish the fact that fairy and Fae are both used in this book. They have wings but they are not teeny-tiny and follows the trend of strange, powerful and deadly series. The Seelie and Unseelie courts were also mentioned. However, the world of the Fae, or Azran in this book, was not built upon other than the descriptions of their world. What is also quite unique about the world of The Amulet is that the book was not confined to two worlds, the human world and the fae world, but also hinted about other realms that could be traveled to given the right amount of power or artifacts that you could use.

There were hints of Faedra - yes, a definite play on Fae which can also be noticed in the lead male character's name, Faen - being just not a Custodian with faery origins but also of something more which I presume would be touched in the second book which I would be reading in the coming days. Two of the underutilized characters are Faedra's best friends. Oh, well.

As for the romance, I believed Faen's feelings for Faedra's since as Jocelyn pointed out, Faen was with Faedra for most of her life and he was very aware that she was girl. Faedra, on the other hand, grew up with Faen the dog and I don't really see how your love for your dog would transform into in love with the person who's not really a dog after all. Or we could concede that what she felt every time Faen was a dog was different to when Faen was a person. This is confusing. Well, as I said, believable Faen, but instalove situation for Faedra.

All in all, I liked reading The Amulet. I don't love it since there were many holes to patch but it was nice to immerse myself again in faeries and magic, shiny wings and all.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]