Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Hello, everyone! I know I have been scant in book reviews or any other kind of reviews this month. I've only been posting some general things. There's a reason for that! I have been excited and busy with APEC. It happens only every 20 years in my country, so I grabbed the opportunity and volunteered for it. Busy, busy, busy. Waking up at four in the morning is no mean feat. But, it's over now and I am going to catch up with my reading ACTUAL books since I've only been reading fanfiction the past few weeks. Reviews will come, don't you worry.
Enough with the update. I've been tagged, well, all our FB group was tagged by Erika of The Nocturnal Fey. This was originally started by Rachel of Rachel Reads. This version is...


Would You Rather


1. Read only trilogies or stand-alones? 

This is a tricky question. Sometime ago, I would have said stand-alones. Why would I read a story that could be told comprehensively and completely in one book in three stretched-out books? It could be done, I would’ve said; there’s no point stretching it to three books. 

Now, I would have to say that there are stories that warrant a storytelling spread out to three books. Cramming a lot of thoughts and plot points into one book makes for a heavier, not-necessarily well-developed story. Info-dumping is a complete no-no for me. However, I prefer those series with an overall major arc for the whole series but there has to be a minor arc within each book that the characters should have to travel and tackle – minor arcs that contribute and make sense to the major arc. 

On the other hand, stand-alones are also welcome in my library. As I said before, why would you stretch out a story if it could be done in just one single book. When it is time to end it, then end it there; we, readers, do have a rich imagination and could just fanfic our way to what happens after. 


2. Read only female or male authors? 

That’s neither here or there. I have no preference to whether the author should be female or male. If the story is written well, then that’s all I care about. 


3. Shop at Barnes & Noble or Amazon? 

I haven’t shopped at Barnes, yet. Do they have international shipping? I have shopped at Amazon but I only book ebooks. International shipping, man, they drain the funds. I do my book shopping at local bookstores (sometimes they don’t carry titles I want) or secondhand book stores (where I wade through mountains of books but oftentimes exit without a book I like). 


4. All books become movies or TV shows? 

Ha! The answer to this question is similar to my answer to number 1. There are books that need comprehensive storytelling and there are ones that could be told in a single movie. All I ask is that the essence of the books, the major plotpoints and sidestories should be included. Watchers who didn’t read the books should be able to comprehend the story without me whispering in their ears about the things, which were essential to the whole storytelling experience, they missed from the book. 


5. Read 5 pages per day or 5 books per week? 

I am not content to read five pages per day. I’ll read five books per week anytime. I mean, I already do read a book a day (when I don’t have things to do or when I’m not in a reading slump or I’m not reading fanfiction) so… *shrugs* 


6. Be a professional reviewer or author? 

I have stories spinning in my head. I have one that I have been weaving since high school. I have written drabbles and snippets. But you know what? I’ve never fancied myself a full-time author. When I was being interviewed for the master’s degree program, a professor asked me why I didn’t take creative writing instead (he liked my essay). I told him that writing is a hobby, one that I do when the mood strikes me or when the muses are being insistent. I don’t see it as a full-time thing. Oh, I could whip something up in my downtimes which could eventually be a living, breathing book but I just can’t see it. 

A professional reviewer, on the other hand, could be possible. I mean, I already have a blog dedicated to sharing my fangirling/snarking of books. Taking it to the professional level is a possible notion. 


7. Only read your top 20 favorite books over and over or always read new ones that you haven’t read before? 

Well, there comes a time in a girl’s life that even though something is one’s favorite, one could eventually could get sick of it. So, yeah, my top 20 favorite books are there, being displayed in all their glory; I memorized each to the last letter and I could recite it to anyone who would care to listen. They’re there. 

Therefore, I would read new ones that I haven’t read before. Broaden my horizons, extend my knowledge, acquire new ideas. Grow. 


8. Be a librarian or book seller? 

A librarian. There’s something about libraries that attract me (aside from the books). It’s being in a separate world full of mysteries and possibilities. 


9. Only read your favorite genre, or every genre except your favorite? 

Why would I read other genres what I don’t really like? Why torture myself? I know I said about broadening horizons and growing BUT if couldn’t read my favorite genre then we are talking a bout inside the boxing ring. 


10. Only read physical books or eBooks? 

The debate of the decade! There are merits to each format. I like eBooks because they are convenient to carry around without breaking your back. Hundreds of books in one tablet! 

But my love would always be with physical books. I want to see my bookshelves overflowing with books; arranged by color a-week-a-month; displayed for all to see, for visitors to know the person I am. I want to know that I could throw the book when it frustrates me; I can’t do that with a tablet without worrying about overly-sensitive electronic parts. I love to open books to study the maps (I love perusing the maps in fantasy books). I want to pet them. *my preciousssss*

I tag all of you, dear bloggers and readers!
I am curious as to your preferences.

Ayanami Faerudo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]