Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Book Haul is a feature post which showcases some of the books that I got.

Forest of Whispers
Jennifer Murgia
Expected Publication: September 9, 2014
Raised by an old fortune-teller within the dark veil of the Bavarian Black Forest, Rune has learned two valuable lessons: only take from the forest that which you can use, and never, never look anyone in the eye in the village. For something terrible happened in the forest long ago... and now, the whispers of a long-dead mother with a vengeful secret have come haunting.

Forced to flee all she has ever known, Rune soon learns of a legacy she is bound to--one that is drenched in fear, witchcraft and murder--a birthright that stretches beyond the grave to the trees where Rune is no longer safe.
I've read one book of Jennifer Murgia before and that was Angel Star. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't recall much of what I've read because it's been more than 500 hundred books since but I must have loved it since I gave it a 5/5 apple rating. So when I found Forest of Whispers eight months ago, I was eager to read more of Jennifer Murgia. Thank you, NetGalley, you old dawg.

I bought the six books in the picture, below The Secret of Shadow Ranch, from a warehouse sale of Books for Less in a town far, far away. Actually, just two cities over and my fare was more expensive than the books I bought. Was it worth it? Uhhhhhhhhhh... I was hoping for YA books but I should've known that they won't carry them since I knew that Books for Less sells books that are like old. As in old. My parents' age old. There were plenty of romance novels the likes printed in the 1970s to 1980s (I spent my high school years reading my mother's romance novels. She burned them because I wasn't doing my homework) but though I like reading them, I wasn't in that particular zone in my reading life right now. But the titles above did capture my attention (I loved The First Wives Club movie though I was too young to understand much when I first watched it) so I bought them. Php10.00 each! Woohoo.

As for Angels and Demons and The Secret of Shadow Ranch, I was passing a book booth in the mall on the way home. I couldn't just pass by without browsing, could I?
National Book Store has been holding books sales left and right at various branches but most of them are far from home and I was too lazy to make the commute given my experience with the Books for Less sale (jeez, I need a car). But there was one the other day which was relatively close so I got off my lazy and went there. Not much YA either.
Ayanami Faerudo

1 comment:

  1. Forest of Whispers does look interesting and I did have her first book somewhere, I bought it WAY back when! :D I was going to say the same thing as Nick---that cover model has been everywhere lately!! And usually on books that I say "oh, that looks really good!".
    Book sales are so fun, looks like you got some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Bottom Ad [Post Page]